Sunday, September 28, 2008

Talk2Me: paul newman cancer updat

Digg 1: I WONDER: Homecoming hairstyles online

Digg 2: 5 Things You Didn't Know About Paul Newman

Talk2Me about why we who of a certain age (I refuse to say old) start becoming obsessed with illnesses and death when we should be enjoying living life instead. I checked the online news this morning and was greeted with the headline about the paul newman cancer update. I learned that he lost his battle with cancer and it felt like an old friend died. When I look at the paul newman movies list, I find that I have seen almost all of them and enjoyed most of them.

He was a true movie star and managed to avoid many of the pitfalls that some stars fall into when they achieve wealth and fame. His work as a star and a director will be missed but that is not what bothers me. He was 83 at the time of his death. I look around and see that many of the people in my life are getting closer to their eighties. I know that death is part of life and is going to happen no matter what but each time I hear of a death of someone in that generation I get nervous thinking "who will be next?". I think about it way too much. But when you start seeing the names of your friends and associates in the obituaries, you just can't help it. How do others cope with this?

1 comment:

John Powers said...

How to cope with the death of friends is a really good question. I wouldn't exactly say my surfing the Internet is random, sometimes still I'm surprised where I end up. Last night I was watching some clips of Swamiji on YouTube. A good Catholic friend has a long friendship with him. That's something that's always amazed me considering that the fellow has hundreds of thousands of devotees worldwide. Anyway on one of the pages I saw last night Swamiji said we've be better off if we realized our lives are like a bubble floating on the water and made the most of our lives.

In some ways that advice is like: Make the most of it. The hard part is the responsibility to do that. I have no good argument as to why I think so, but I do think remembering others living and dead is very important. Everyone tries their best so there's something to learn from everyone's experience. Somehow remembering others is a way to make other's a part of us. Being a bubble floating on a great sea doesn't feel so lonely if you imagine we're all a part of that sea.